Looking for something to do this weekend? We've got the best bets for your done-with-work-outta-here time.
Check out our picks for activities to hit and new places to explore this weekend.
1. Birdies and Books Charity Golf Classic
- Where / When: Lake Bluff Park District; Noon Friday (Sept. 23).
- Why Go?: Play golf and help Bernie's Book Bank in their efforts to deliver more books to more children. Registration, warm-ups and a box lunch at noon. Shotgun start at 1 p.m. Cheese and wine tasting for non-golfers at 5 p.m. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres at 6 p.m. Putting championship. Pig roast dinner, live music and awards at 7 p.m. Beer, wine and soft drinks will be available all day. Sponsorship packages available. Visit the website for details and to register.
- Pricing: Begins at $200 per golfer; $50 per person for non-golfers.
- Where / When: Lake Forest High School, West Athletic Campus; 5 p.m. Friday (Sept. 23).
- Why Go?: Celebrate Lake Forest High School's homecoming with two football games tonight. The sophomores play at 5 p.m. and varsity plays at 7:30 p.m. The evening also celebrates the 100th anniversary of Naval Station Great Lakes. (see related story).
- Pricing: Unavailable.
- Where / When: Lake Forest-Lake Bluff Senior Center; 5 - 7 p.m. Friday (Sept. 23).
- Why Go?: Celebrate the 10th anniversary of Dickinson Hall at the Lake Forest/Lake Bluff Senior Center. Take a tour of the building, get information about the programs offered at the center and enjoy music, wine and appetizers. Reservations are requested but not required. Call (847) 234-2209 for more information.
- Pricing: Free.
4. Rib Fest
- Where / When: Village Green, Lake Bluff; 10 a.m., Saturday (Sept. 24).
- Why Go?: Annual Rib Fest competition hosted by the Lake Bluff Barbeque Society. Come to compete or to taste the mouth-watering ribs prepared by the most committed barbeque enthusiasts. Awards will be presented to teams for the best ribs, best showmanship and peoples' choice winners. The awards ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Proceeds will be donated to the Shields Township Food Pantry.
- Pricing: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-234-0774 for more information.
- Where / When: St. Patrick Catholic Church; 6 - 10 p.m. Saturday, (Sept. 24).
- Why Go?: Beer, wine, brats, sauerkraut, German Potato Salad, German pretzels and strudel. Adults only.
- Pricing: $20 per person.
- Where / When: Viper Alley, 275 Parkway Drive, Lincolnshire; 2:30 - 6:30 p.m. Sunday (Sept. 25).
- Why Go?: Watch the Bears vs. Packers game on a flat screen and help raise funds for the Sports Shed and their efforts to provide sports equipment for under-privileged kids. Food, drinks, silent auction, raffles and blackjack.
- Pricing: $40 for appetizers, food, dessert, soft drinks; $55 for appetizers, food, dessert, soft drinks, 2 bar drink tickets, 2 raffle tickets; $75 for appetizers, food, dessert, soft drinks, unlimited bar drinks, 5 raffle tickets, gambling chips.
- Where/When: Middlefork Farm Nature Preserve, 1401 Middlefork Dr., Lake Forest; 4 - 7 p.m. Sunday (Sept. 25)
- Why Go?: Scottish Highland athletes, fun children's activities, delicious picnic dinner, kilted sky divers, bagpipe procession and bonfire. Celebrate the harvest season.
- Pricing: Members: $100 per adult; $35 per child; free for children ages 3 years and younger. Non-Members: $175 per adult; $50 per child; free for children ages 3 years and younger.
If we have missed any of your favorites, share them with us in the comments box below.