Lake Forest Neighborhood a National Historic Site
The West Park Neighborhood has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
The West Park Neighborhood in Lake Forest has been named to the National Register of Historic Places, the Belleville News-Democrat reported on Tuesday. The neighborhood was developed in 1907 by Howard Van Doren Shaw, the architect that’s also credited with designing the nation’s first outdoor shopping center.
The area, which includes over 130 homes, was built for middle-class families who “supported nearby wealthy communities,” the Belleville News-Democrat stated. Every county in Illinois has at least one site on the national register.
For more Lake Forest and Lake Bluff news, 'like' Patch on Facebook here!
Other sites listed on the National Register of Historical Places in Lake Forest include Reid Hall at Lake Forest Academy, the Edward H. Bennett House and Studio, the Deerpath Hill Estates Historic District, the Deerpath Inn, Deerpath Square, the Green Bay Road Historic District, the Frank Hibbard Estate House, the home at 380 Chiltern Drive, the House at 965 Castlegate Court, the Judah Noble Estate, the Lake Forest Cemetery and the Lake Forest Historic District (bounded by Western, Westleigh, Lake Michigan and N. city limits).
Other Lake Forest sites on the list include the Robert P. Lamont House (also known as West View Farms), Meadowood Dairy, the Robert Hosmer Morse House, Ragdale, the Mrs. Kersey Coates Reed House, the Louis F. Swift House and the Vine-Oakwood-Green Bay Historic District.
Don't forget to sign up for our free daily newsletter, and have the biggest news in Lake Forest and Lake Bluff delivered straight to your inbox!