Glad you clicked on our Grab & Go Kids Planner!
We've assembled a weekly calendar of kid-friendly activities and new places to try out with children.
Each week, we'll give you the info on the five best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids’ planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips — just add them to the comment box. Even if you disagree with our picks, let us know. We want to hear from you!
This is a great weekend to play in the snow, decorate cookies, break bread with your neighbors, or take in a show. There’s plenty to do in Lake Forest/Lake Bluff to help cure the mid-winter blues!
Family Best Bets Of The Week
- Where/When: Blair Park Sled Hill, 355 W. Washington, Lake Bluff. Friday thru Sunday (Feb. 11-13). The lights stay on until 9 p.m.
- Why Go: Plenty of snow, fresh air, and the chance for mom and dad to be a kid again. Bring a thermos of hot chocolate to stay warm in between rides.
- Pricing: FREE
Cookie Decorating to Benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation http://www.panera-chicago.com/community_events.html
- Where/When: Panera Bread, 305 S. Waukegan Road, Lake Bluff. Saturday (Feb. 12) from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Why Go: Decorate cookies in someone else’s kitchen, meet the Make-A-Wish child who will benefit from the proceeds, a fun and yummy way to help others.
- Pricing: $1.99 per cookie.
Spaghetti Dinner at
- Where/When: St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 991 S. Waukegan Road, Lake Forest. Saturday (Feb. 12) from 6-7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: All you can eat, make new friends, you don’t have to wash dishes!
- Pricing: Adults - $10 each, Children, ages 3-12 - $5 each, Children 2 and under – Free. Reserve your seats now, space is limited.
Golden Dragon Acrobats http://jlcenter.clcillinois.edu./
- Where/When: James Lumber Center for the Performing Arts at the College of Lake County, 19351 W. Washington St., Grayslake. Saturday (Feb. 12), 3 p.m. or 7 p.m.
- Why Go: Spectacular costumes, traditional Chinese dance, and jaw dropping acrobatics will amaze everyone in your family. Don’t miss out on seeing this internationally acclaimed show.
- Pricing: $23 - $32 per ticket.
Dear Edwina at
- Where/When: Center Stage of Lake Forest at the Gorton Community Center. Friday (Feb. 11) at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday (Feb. 12) at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: This is your last chance to see one of the best kid friendly performances in the area. Rock music, theatre, and a meaningful plot, a win-win for all.
- Pricing: $15 to $20 per person.
Jake’s Women at
- Where/When: The Citadel Theatre at Lake Forest High School West Campus, 000 S. Waukegan Road. Friday (Feb. 11) at 8 p.m., Saturday (Feb. 12) at 8 p.m., and Sunday (Feb. 13) at 2 p.m.
- Why Go: Neil Simon’s dark comedy is a perfect night out for families with older kids. Dine out at , , or before the show; they’re all close to the theatre.
- Pricing: Adults $35 each, students and seniors, $32 each. Three show subscription only $59.