The weekend is upon us and you have no idea what you're going to do. Patch is coming to the rescue.
We've got the best bets for your done-with-work-outta-here time. Check out our picks for the activities to hit and new places to explore this weekend.
- Where/When: 10 a.m. Friday and Saturday, Nov. 18-19, at Lake Forest Parks and Recreation Department, 400 Hastings Road, Lake Forest.
- Why Go?: The Women's Board of Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital will host its annual Holiday Boutique. This year's event has grown in size and will include more than 40 merchants from around the country. The boutique is one of the largest of its kind on the North Shore and attracts visitors from throughout the Chicagoland area. Proceeds from the boutique will benefit
- Price: free to attend
- Where/When: 5-8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 18, at , 400 E. Illinois Road, Lake Forest.
- Why Go?: Join the seasonal exhibition, “Art is…Celebration!” Featuring artists Amy Butts (jewelry), Ray Lapsys (glass), Ben Jurevicius (pastel), James Anderson (wood), Ira Burhans (ceramics), James Becia (photography), Helen LaCroix (printmaking), Ana Petercic (wearable painted silk), Denise Houck (jewelry) and Thomas Trausch (oil painting). The gallery exhibit and gift shop are filled with one-of-kind gifts. Exhibition continues through Jan. 4, 2012.
- Price: free to attend
- Where/When: 9 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 19 at , 36 E. Center Ave, Lake Bluff.
- Why Go?: Cyclists of all ages will gather at Activator Cycles with their bags and bike locks. Activator Cycles will supply them with a shopping list of specific items needed by the , plus a map of stores along a specific route from which to buy these items. Off they go, on a fun, relaxed ride, to purchase the items and bring them back. Riders purchase the items themselves, which is where the charity part comes in, and have to be prepared to carry them back to Activator Cycles. A typical shopping list will have a dozen or so items, and maybe set back the riders $10-20. It's a terrific way to kick off the holiday season and be out on your bike, doing something good with the community alongside your fellow cyclists. Plus, it's an early start on burning off all the calories you'll be inhaling during November and December. For information, call Nick Christofalos at Activator Cycles, (847) 863-7366.
- Price: $10-$20
- Where/When: 9 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, 138 School St., Liberyville.
- Why Go?: Designed by architect Sarah Susanka, and based on principles in her book "The Not So Big House" - the Showhouse is one of 26 new houses in the School Street development. To learn more, visit online at www.notsobigshowhouse.com. .
- Price: free
- Where/When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, at Gorton Community Center, 400 E. Illinois Road, Lake Forest.
- Why Go?: The Chicago Brass Band contains 27 brass, 3 percussion, and one of the continent's elite British-style brass bands.
- Price: $15 for adults, $10 for seniors and students.
- Where/When: 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 20, at Lake Forest College, Lily Reid Holt Memorial Chapel - Middle Campus, 555 N. Sheridan Road, Lake Forest.
- Why Go?: Praised for their “high level of musicality and technical ability” and for their “clean, clear and precise sound”, the award-winning Axiom Brass Quintet has quickly established itself as “one of the major art music groups in brass chamber music.” Winners of the 2008 International Chamber Brass Competition and the 2010 Fischoff Chamber Music Competition, the Axiom Brass is dedicated to enhancing the musical life of communities across the globe and educating the next generation of musicians. Internationally recognized for their groundbreaking programming, their repertoire ranges from jazz and Latin music to string quartet transcriptions, as well as original compositions for brass quintet. Their performances have captured the hearts and imaginations of audiences, leading the ensemble to national radio and television appearances as well as concerts in Asia, Europe and across the USA. The Axiom Brass is an Ensemble-in-Residence at the Music Institute of Chicago.
- Price: $15.