Looking for something to do this weekend? We've got the best bets for your done-with-work-outta-here time.
Check out our picks for activities to hit and new places to explore this weekend.
- Where / When: ; 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Friday and Saturday (Sept. 9-10).
- Why Go?: First annual hands-on garden symposium and seasonal market. Presenters from Elawa Farm, Chicago Botanic Garden and local landscape designers. Fee includes lunch. Space is limited. Call (847) 234-1966 for more information.
- Pricing: $100 per person.
- Where / When: , 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday (Sept. 9-10).
- Why Go?: Opening concert of the 2011-2012 season will feature local composer Jim Stephenson's Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Concertmaster Ilya Kaler in the Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso. Free pre-concert lecture at 7 p.m.
- Pricing: $16 - $54 per ticket.
- Where / When: ; 4 p.m. Saturday (Sept. 10) - 8 a.m. Sunday (Sept. 11).
- Why Go?: Pitch your tent, enjoy a reptile show by the Wildlife Discovery Center, watch the stars and moon through telescopes provided by the Skokie Valley Astronomers Club and relax around a campfire. Eat s'mores, pizza and soda for dinner, bagels, muffins and juice for breakfast. Please register in advance. Send an email to Rob Carmichael at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Pricing: $110 per family for residents; $132 per family for non-residents.
- Where / When: ; 10 - 11 a.m., Sunday (Sept. 11).
- Why Go?: Recognize and commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Police officers and firefighters will be honored.
- Pricing: Free.
- Where / When: Deerpath Golf Course, 500 W. Deerpath Rd., Lake Forest; 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. Friday, (Sept. 9).
- Why Go?: Registration begins at 7 a.m., tee-off at 8 a.m. Help maintain the academy's commitment to strong educational and character goals for students in Lake and northern Cook counties at one of the fastest growing Catholic schools in Chicagoland.
- Pricing: $400 for two golfers.
- Where / When: Market Square on Western Avenue off of Deerpath, 8:30-9:30 a.m. Sunday (Sept. 11).
- Why Go?: Recognize and commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11
- Pricing: Free.
If we have missed any of your favorites, please share them with us in the comments box below.